Thursday, November 13, 2008

All for one cause

This goes out to the friends and readers of this blog.

I want to hear what everyone currently thinks of the state of California and Prop 8. For instance how does it affect you? Do you see this as the genesis of a new Gay Rights Movement? How do you see this changing the national scene? It must since there are nationwide protests, right? Really whatever you are thinking or feeling right now, I want to hear it. Please write it in the comments section. It would be great to get a sense of living history.

Thanks.

1 comment:

The Editor said...

Last night, I saw flashing lights from my balcony. Ever the rubber-necker, I decided it would be appropriate to gawk. As I soon found out, it was the prop 8 march, making it's way down Melrose, right by my place. At first, I wasn't sure what was going on. 40 police bikes? Was the president in town? The pres-elect?

As the minutes passed, I heard the chanting: What do we want? EQUAL RIGHTS. When do we want them? NOW!

As the crowd grew closer, the sound increased, and it was clear this wasn't some dog and pony show- there were literally thousands of people- exercising their AMERICAN GIVEN RIGHT to protest. I couldn't help but think- if they've taken away the right of all these great people to marry and be happy- what's next? Taking away the right to protest? the right to vote? They're all intrinsically linked here, and I don't think anyone understands that.

In any event, it was nice to see America at work. After all, these flag waiving outspoken individuals are the same that brought down England some 225 years ago. Again, they're different sure, but they're one in the same. I guess I just hope, in the future, that people realize rights are rights- no matter how you slice them.

that was both long and rambling. And I couldn't be happier.